Monday, February 23, 2009

Baby shower #1

I had my first of 2 baby showers this weekend. It was thrown by Gary's step mom and her mother. It was at a lovely little tea shop in Medina OH. I think there were about 20 people there total. The weather didn't cooperate, it ended up snowing, but it wasn't too bad out. We played a few games, the one with the pin where you can't say baby, guess how many bibs I would received and guess how many m&ms in the jar. We had some prizes from bath and body works, so the winners of those games took home a prize and then for the ones left, I just drew names so pretty much everyone got a prize. There were also cute tea bag party favors for everyone to take home. I had a really nice time, I wasn't feeling very well and being the center of attention really tired me out. It's hard making the rounds and trying to make everyone feel included. We got a lot of great stuff, mostly clothes and accessories like bibs and socks. But there were also several key registry items like the diaper bag, baby monitor, booster seat and changing pad. It was overwhelming coming home with all that stuff. I really need to buy a dresser soon as we have no where to put all the little clothes. I don't have a good idea of if I have enough newborn clothes, I need to fold them and get them into a drawer and separate everything out by months! It's clothing overload right now. Oh one unexpected treat was a little rocking horse my great aunt got for us. It is too cute and I can't wait until she is old enough to rock on it. My mom also got me this neat little digital picture frame that holds up to 4000 photos and I can keep it in my purse, she got G one too for his desk at work. And this pendant that has my baby photo on it and I can put my baby's photo on the other side. I'll try and take a pic of it as it's really neat, but hard to explain, it's like set in crystal, it's not metal. All in all it was a really good day. I have one more shower on March 15th, then we'll be able to take stock and see how much left we have to buy. It's so easy to say babies really don't need that much, but when you don't have one everything seems like a necessity. I am really trying to keep things to the minimum. We have a small house and don't have room for tons of jumpers and swings, etc. Any advice on things you can't live without and things you thought were necessary and sooo aren't; would be much appreciated.

I had a doc appt this morning. I talked to him about my heartburn and he pretty much said I can take any over the counter medicine. So that is good.

7 comments:

Clare said...

bouncy seat - yes. swing - no (i bought on craigslist, we've used it once but others swear by them). playmat - yes. that's all we've really needed. a sling or some sort of carrier too!

Angela and David said...

A mobile that moves on it's own and an exersaucer are two things we can't live without. When Zach was smaller the bouncy seat was another thing that was essential but he's kind of outgrowing that. We bought him sleep Zach's but he has always been strong enough to get out of those and I wish I hadn't washed them so I could return them.

Angela said...

baby swing was a must for us...help when they wanted to move and wouldn't sleep in their cribs and when they are sick and can't breath laying down just plop them in that thing and buckle them up!

Some sort of jumper is nice to have because they like to jump....I think some excersaucers have bouncy ability.

jessica said...

another swing addict here -- i like that it gets him up off the floor & shelters him a bit from our clumsy dogs -- but we also have a hand-me-down bouncer that gets use because it's portable & can be in the kitchen while i cook or it can sit in front of the bike trainer.

i love my boppy, co-sleeper, & carriers (beco is my fav). we use our changing table (a gift) but i'd much rather have a regular dresser w/temporary change pad on top.

Josh Middleton said...

You mom's to be really rack up at these baby showers! I guess the fact that your having a shower means she's coming soon!!!!!!

KATIE said...

I would die without the swing... she is 5 months old and we still use it every day. Sometimes that is the only way I can get her to nap! We also really use the bouncy seat and play gym. We just really started using the jumparoo thing this month, but she does love it. That is something you could hold off on though, as they are 5 months or so before they can really "bounce." GET THE SWING! We have the small, boppy swing, It can collapse and is way smaller than most.

Sadie Jordan said...

I use my cradle swing daily. It is like baby crack. It usually frees me up for at least a 20 minute stretch. The vibrating bouncy seat is also a winner. I also use my carrier a lot. She loves being carried while I cook dinner.