Wednesday, January 7, 2009

I'm sleepy, what's your excuse?

Okay sleeping whilst pregnant officially sucks. I have been such a zombie the past few weeks. I seem to fall asleep fine. For some reason I can’t get myself positioned correctly to sleep on my left side. So, I usually start the night on my side like a good girl, on the right. Arm shoved up under my pillow. That lasts maybe an hour or two, I usually wake up with aching hips and an achy rotator cuff (this shoulder thing has been an issue for years, can’t seem to sleep without my arm under my head). So, I flop over to the other side and sleep more on my stomach than my side, I normally shove a pillow under one leg and sleep in the shape of a K. Maybe I should get a body pillow, but I really don’t see it working for me. I never sleep long with the pillows propping up body parts of hugging the pillow. It just feels so hot and cumbersome. I hate it. I normally sleep until Fonzie gets up to go potty, which for the last week has only been once a night! Somewhere between 2-4. But once I get back in bed with him my mind wanders and I am pretty sure I lay awake for 1-2 hours. Maybe I fall in and out of sleep, but I know most nights I see another number at the front of the time before I finally doze off. So, when it comes time to get up at 6:30 am (so I can workout before work) I don’t. I push it and sleep until 7:30 or 7:40 and I have to leave for work at 8. That leaves me groggy and running around like a madwomen. I hate it, it’s such a bad cycle. What to do, what to do. All I know is I am not working out enough and it’s driving me CRAZY. CRAZY, people. I mean it when I say that I will never be pregnant in the winter again if I can help it. At least if it was summer, it would be light out and I wouldn't get into bed at 8pm!

Also, does anyone else find it impossible to worry about what you are supposed to be doing at work when you have such fun things to think about like names and nursery motifs? Or such important things as daycare and if you are coming back to work ? I am pretty much useless anymore! Oh vey.

5 comments:

Josh Middleton said...

Alex is having the same problems. I guess it just goes with the territory. She did get a body pillow, though, and I'm pretty sure it has helped a little. Only a few more months!

Clare said...

i used to waste tons of time on babycenter.com...way more fun than working!!!

Nitsirk said...

I hear ya on the sleeping thing. I bought a body pillow but I don't think it really helps. I also have to sleep with my arm tucked up and basically sleep on one side until that arm falls asleep and then roll over and repeat...all night. Add in the 2-3 trips to the bathroom and it sucks. I still manage to get up to work out. I got up at 5:15 today by telling myself that the workout would make me feel better than the extra hour of crummy sleep would. Tomorrow I get to "sleep in" until 6:30.

Congrats on the girl. I like "Ella."

N.D. said...

Sleeping is not fun at all and got worse unfortunately. Now I get up 5-6 times a night to go pee!

KATIE said...

Hi Monica! Love your Blog! Congrats! I just had a baby girl, Anna Claire in September. So much fun - I promise it is all worth it! Lack of sleep was an issue for me too... the aching hips, the frequent pee breaks. Unfortunately toward the end you are up once an hour. It does help prepare you for the frequent feedings those first few weeks! I used a "Snoogle" body pillow and honestly it saved my life. May be worth the investment for the next few months. Hang in there! Also, when things got really bad, my doc suggested I try Tylenol's Simply Sleep. It is a mild sleep aid and has no pain reliever. She assured me it was completely safe! It didn't fix the issue, but it helped when I just could not get comfortable enough to stay asleep! Good luck!