Thursday, August 28, 2008

When to tell work?

So I am faced with a new dilema. I am doing a relay at the Akron marathon on Sept 27th with 4 other pregnant ladies. We were organized by the lovely Salty (blog in links - The little one). I totally want to do this and a local paper wants to do an article on us. Exciting. The issue is that the marathon and the article will be before I had planned to tell work. I was going to wait until Oct to tell work. The only reason being that we get our reviews in Oct and I didn't want to stand the chance of affecting my raise. But I think the chances of that are pretty slim since everyone pretty much gets the same piddly raise every year. So, now do I wait until my first ultrasound to tell work? Or just go ahead and tell them after I've had my first doc visit tomorrow, I am somewhere between 8-9 weeks along right now. I know that for a fact b/c there are only a handful of options for this babies conception. I so want to tell right now b/c I am so excited. But I know that things could go wrong and I should wait longer...When did you tell bloggy friends? Do share -

5 comments:

Michelle Simmons said...

I told my boss pretty early- maybe 9 weeks or so? Don't remember exactly. But I knew beforehand how supportive she would be since she had twin girls 2 years prior and another gal on our team was already pregnant and boss talked about it excitedly all the time... news was taken really well. :) Good luck! The relay sounds awesome!!

Baby and Me said...

Gosh that is difficult spot for you to be in. you should for sure tell before the article in the news comes out. If you feel like your review will not be effected by your news then you should tell. But if you are at all concerned that your review will comprmised I would wait and try not to be in the article. You need your benefits!
Perosnally I waited until after my 12 or 13 week appoitment to tell. I actually think I was around 14 to 15 weeks when I finally told work. I was having a normal pregnancy but I was under a lot of stress at home so I just wanted to make sure I was in the clear before I told everyone!

Audrey said...

Eh, I say let them read the article and find out that way. No need to rush in telling them, and if you don't think it'll affect your "piddly" raise then it doesn't really matter. Besides, they may miss it.

It's not dishonest not to tell your boss before it's in the paper, you can always tell him/her that you were being cautious just in case something happened and didn't want to make a big deal out of it until you were in the "safety zone" as it were but that the paper wanted to do the article on your group.

N.D. said...

Technically, I don't have to tell work until 60 days before I have to go on leave, but I told people after 3 months/13 weeks. I was lucky bc when I found out, it was the day before the last day of the school year, so I didn't have to be working keeping a secret. I don't think they can give you a less raise or anything - you could fight it! That is illegal!

Twila and Scott said...

I told work right away just because I was doing fertility stuff and I couldn't really lie about it. I had my miscarriage at 6 weeks (everyone knew) and I didn't mind everyone knowing. But everyone has a different opinion on those things. If you have your first ultrasound and everything looks good I think you are "safe" to tell! Best of luck with everything!